Can I get a work visa to teach English in Peru?

Peru offers plenty of opportunities for TESOL qualified teachers, particularly those who are looking for a bit of adventure that is a little off of the beaten path. Lima, the capital city, is far and away the most popular destination as it is home to nearly a third of the country’s population and a large proportion of its language centers. However, there are also many options to be found in smaller towns and cities across the country if you prefer a slower pace of life.

Can I get a work visa to teach English in Peru?

As with many countries in the Latin American region, you need to find a school or language center to sponsor you in order to qualify for a work visa for teaching English in Peru. However, this can be a time consuming and complicated process which most employers are unwilling to tackle as few teachers are prepared to commit to a long-term job that would make it worthwhile for the school. In reality, most teachers work with nothing more than the tourist visa they were issued with when they entered the country. Although this is technically illegal, it is common practice across the region and teachers rarely face any major problems when doing so.

If you are lucky enough to secure a teaching job in Peru before you leave home you might be eligible for a work visa. During the recruitment process you should make enquiries about how the school will help you with your application.

Also read: How do I get a job teaching English in Peru?

What is the process for getting a visa when teaching English in Peru?

As getting a work visa in Peru can be challenging it is normal for ESL teachers to enter the country on a standard tourist visa that is issued without charge at the airport on arrival. The visa should be valid for 90 days and no paperwork is required for most nationalities. To be sure you are eligible and to get the most up-to-date information we recommend you visit the Peruvian Embassy website in your home country before you make any solid travel plans.

Once you are in the country it is possible to extend your initial visa for a further 90 days, which will give you a maximum of six months in the country. After the six months you will have to leave the country and then reenter to get a new tourist visa, which can also be extended to a six month maximum. Once your visa has expired it is not recommended that you remain in Peru as you will be liable for a fine for every day you stay over your visa limit.

Also read: How much can I earn teaching English in Peru?