Can I get a work visa to teach English in Taiwan?

Taiwan is one of the top ESL teaching destinations in Asia and it attracts thousands of TESOL qualified teachers each year. The demand for foreign teachers is huge all over the country, with plenty of schools and language centers to choose from in every part of the main island. The average salary for teachers is one of the highest in the region so you should expect some amount of competition for each sought after job. When it comes to getting an official visa to work legally, you should have little trouble as long as you can meet the criteria required. As the exact process may differ from one nationality to the next you should always contact your nearest Taiwanese Embassy or Consulate for the most up-to-date information.

Teachers from the USA can check out the Taiwan Consulate website for more information.

What visa will I need for teaching English in Taiwan?

In order to teach ESL legally in Taiwan you will need to apply for a Working Resident Visa that currently costs around $160 and is valid for the length of your teaching contract (typically one year). You can apply via the Taiwanese Embassy in your home country before you set off, or you can apply once you have arrived in the country. In order to apply you will need the following documents:

  • Original bachelor's degree
  • Criminal background check from your home country
  • Valid passport
  • Two passport photos
  • Copy of flight itinerary

How do I apply for a visa for teaching English in Taiwan?

Once you have secured a teaching job in Taiwan your employer will provide any other documentation you need and you can then send all the paperwork to a consulate or embassy for processing. You can send it in the post or simply go in person if you are in a bit of a hurry to get moving. Your visa should be ready within two business days and will be sent to you using a prepaid return envelope that you have to include in your application.

Once your visa arrives you are free to travel to Taiwan to start your new job as an ESL teacher. However, within 15 days of arrival you will need to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate (RAC), although your employer should provide all the help you need with this final step.

Also read: How much can I earn teaching English in Taiwan?

What is the FET Program for teaching English in Taiwan?

The FET Program (Foreign English Teachers In Taiwan) is a recruitment scheme run by the Ministry of Education. Successful applicants are placed into local public schools where they work to improve the English language skills of their students. Through the program teachers receive a competitive salary and a range of extra benefits including paid airfares in and out of the country. To qualify for the FET program you must be a native English speaker who is a certified teacher in their home country, or has extensive ESL teaching experience. The main requirements for the FET Program are:

  • Native English speaker from an English speaking country.
  • A state-issued teaching license from your home country (or extensive experience).
  • A bachelor’s degree or higher (less the half of which was completed via distance learning).
  • A criminal background check from your home country.
  • An internationally recognized TEFL or TESOL certificate.

For further information visit the FET Program website