How do I get a job teaching English in Cambodia?

Cambodia is one of the most up-and-coming TESOL countries in Southeast Asia. With a vibrant culture and some of the most spectacular scenery in the region, Cambodia has plenty to offer the increasing numbers of foreign teachers who call it home. The country’s major attraction, Angkor Wat, is one of the most exceptional temple complexes anywhere in the world and visitors can spend many days exploring the huge site that includes breathtaking views and stunning architecture. The steady growth in demand for ESL teachers is fueled by an increased dependency on international tourism and trade and the fact that around 60% of the country’s population is under the age of thirty. A low cost of living and few restrictions on hiring teachers means the popularity of Cambodia as a teaching destination is set to soar in the coming years.

What are the requirements for teaching English in Cambodia?

As mentioned, the requirements for teaching English in Cambodia are typically less than many other countries in the region. All you really need is an internationally recognised TESOL certificate of at least 120-hours duration and enough money to support yourself until you receive your first month’s pay. Some employers will insist on their teachers having a degree and some only employ native English speakers from the US, the UK, Ireland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or South Africa. However, these are in the minority and there are plenty of opportunities waiting for most ESL teachers no matter where they are from or what their academic background is.

Also read: Can I teach ESL without a bachelor's degree?

What TESOL course is best for teaching English in Cambodia?

Most employers will be happy to accept a TESOL certification as long as it is over 120 hours and issued by a reputable company. An online course such as ITTTs 120-hour TESOL certificate will provide all the theoretical training you require and you can even add some additional practical training that can be completed in the location of your choice. The addition of practical teaching practice can be a real bonus as it prepares you for the realities of setting foot in a real classroom for the very first time.

Also read: How should I approach my first day in an ESL classroom?

Many trainees decide that an in-class TESOL course is the best approach as it fully prepares you both theoretically and practically, while the whole course is taught in-person by highly qualified and experienced teachers. The good news is that ITTT has an in-class TESOL training center located in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh. If you choose this option you will benefit from around four weeks of acclimatizing to the local environment before starting work in your first teaching job. The local knowledge of our training staff will also be a major help in finding a suitable job in the location of your choice.

Check out our in-class TESOL training center in Phnom Penh

What are the visa requirements for teaching English in Cambodia?

The majority of foreign teachers working legally in Cambodia do so on a Business Visa (Type E). This type of visa allows you to work in the country for up to a year. You can apply for the visa before leaving home via your local Cambodian Embassy or Consulate, or at the airport on arrival in the country. The business visa costs $35 for one month and this can then be extended for a further six months or one year for $100 to $300.

What is the best way to apply for English teaching jobs in Cambodia?

Although you might find a few jobs advertised online that can be arranged before leaving home, the majority of employers will expect to interview you in person. Most teachers first decide which part of the country they want to work in and then contact as many employers as they can find via email. On arrival in Cambodia you can then visit local schools to see which are the best fit for you. Just remember that you will need enough cash to support yourself until your first pay day. We recommend at least $1,000 to $1,500 to cover accommodation, meals, transport, etc.

Also read: What are the start-up costs for teaching English abroad?