Is TESOL internationally recognized?

No matter what kind of educational background you have, getting your first taste of the professional world of TESOL is crucial for success as an English teacher abroad or online.

As there is currently no international regulating body for TESOL/TESL/TEFL training programs, international standards for teaching certifications vary from provider to provider. Courses differ in their subject matter and amount of study hours required. Therefore, you need to do your own research in finding the best course providers out there.

How do I find an accredited TESOL provider?

To begin, there are two major areas to consider when looking for a TESOL school:

  • Academic standards, as well as accreditation and credentials of the TESOL provider.
  • Advice on job hunting after certification: The school's ability to help you find work as an English teacher both overseas and online.

Next, take the study hours into consideration. TESOL course accreditation requires a minimum of 100 hours of study. TESOL training courses that are less than 100 hours will not provide you with an internationally recognized certification.

How can I tell if a TESOL course is accredited or not?

It is important to know that there are accreditation bodies and then there are memberships. Accreditation is a formal and rigorous review process conducted by a recognized accrediting body, which is an independent third party that examines a school's academic and professional standards.

TQUK, College of Teachers, and ACCET are examples of well-known TESOL accreditation organizations. Courses offered directly through an accredited university, such as SIT, Cambridge University (CELTA), and Trinity University, will also be considered accredited (Trinity certificate).

Academic association membership is not based on any criteria and should not be considered an equivalent or substitute for accreditation. Most schools can simply pay annual fees to join an organization, with no independent review of their educational and professional standards.

Does the TESOL school offer courses taught by highly experienced, university-level instructors?

A university-level professional training course should be taught by a highly qualified instructor who has a master's degree in TESOL or a related field, or equivalent training (i.e. a DELTA or degree in education with an ESL endorsement, etc.) and many years of experience teaching English to non-native speakers.

Make sure to ask a TESOL course provider for these credentials before enrolling in a program.