How do I get a job teaching English in the Czech Republic?

The Czech Republic is one of the top spots in Europe for teaching English abroad for a variety of reasons, including the quality and low cost of its world famous beer! As well as cheap, high-quality beer, teachers get to enjoy the country’s convenient central location within Europe, a lively nightlife, a safe and friendly atmosphere, and a cost of living that is significantly lower than many other popular European teaching destinations such as France, Italy, and Spain. There is also a very strong demand for TESOL qualified teachers throughout the country, so finding a suitable position should not be difficult for most of our course graduates.

What are the requirements for teaching English in the Czech Republic?

As the Czech Republic is a popular teaching destination you will need to meet a certain criteria to be eligible for the majority of vacant positions. A TESOL certificate is seen as essential by most employers as it prepares you for what to expect in the classroom. Most jobs will also require a full degree in any subject and native-level English is typically expected. Please note: Non-native English speakers may find it difficult to secure a teaching job unless they apply through a recruitment agency. A clean criminal background check from your home country is also required in most cases.

Also read: How much can I earn teaching English in the Czech Republic?

Check out the ITTT in-class TESOL course in Prague

What are the visa requirements for teaching English in the Czech Republic?

A work permit is not easy to get hold of in the Czech Republic as it requires a school to sponsor you, something that can be expensive and time consuming for the employer. If you are lucky enough to find a sponsor you will need your original university diploma apostilled and also translated into Czech. The fee for the teacher is around $100.

Most ESL teachers in the Czech Republic enter the country on a 90-day tourist visa and then apply for a Zivnostensky List (Zivno), which is essentially a business license that permits you to work for any school you choose. The application can be made at a government zivnostensky office in person or you can use a local visa agency to organize things for you. The documents required for your application include:

  • Completed application form
  • Bank or credit card statement showing access to a minimum of $8,000 US
  • Housing contract as proof of long-term residency
  • One-year health insurance policy (can be bought in country)
  • Criminal background check (contact your embassy in Prague for details on how to obtain this document)

Once your application has been lodged it can take anywhere up to three months to be processed. You might find that your original tourist visa expires while you are waiting, but you will still technically be in the country legally as your Zivno visa application is in progress.

What is the best way to apply for English teaching jobs in the Czech Republic?

Many ESL teaching jobs can be found advertised online which means you can complete the application process before leaving home. If you are able to secure a job via this route you will probably find your employer will be happy to help you make arrangements for a work or Zivno visa and they might even provide assistance with finding accommodation. If you are unable to find the job you want online it is common practice for teachers to fly into the country and apply for jobs on the ground. There are many language schools in Prague, which is the most popular location for teachers, although smaller cities such as Brno, Ostrava, and Plzen are also well worth checking out.

Also read: Where do schools interview and hire English teachers in advance?