The English Opens Doors Program (EODP) is a significant initiative in Chile, aimed at recruiting volunteer teachers to assist in English education across the country. EODP participants work as teaching assistants in a range of educational settings, engaging with students aged between 10 to 18 years. This program is designed to enhance English language education in Chilean schools, providing valuable support to local teachers and enriching the learning experience for students.
Table of Contents
The English Opens Doors Program (EODP), sponsored by the Chilean Ministry of Education and the United Nations Development Program, has specific requirements for potential participants. The program is open to native or near-native English speakers, typically between the ages of 21 and 35, although exceptions may be made for candidates outside this age range. A bachelor's degree is required for all applicants, reflecting the program's emphasis on a solid educational foundation. Additionally, applicants must have the financial means to cover their own transportation to and from Chile, as well as living expenses during their stay. While not mandatory, previous teaching qualifications and international travel experience are beneficial and taken into account during the application process. These factors can enhance an applicant's candidacy, demonstrating their preparedness and suitability for the role of a teaching assistant in Chile.
In the English Opens Doors Program (EODP), successful applicants are assigned to work in public schools across Chile, where they collaborate under the supervision of local teachers. While the program allows applicants to indicate location preferences, it is important to note that these preferences are not guaranteed. The typical commitment in the EODP includes around 24 hours of classroom teaching each week, supplemented by an additional 11 hours dedicated to extracurricular activities.
Participants will engage with a diverse age group of students, ranging from 5th grade (approximately 10-11 years old) to 12th grade (17-18 years old). This provides a broad spectrum of teaching experiences, from younger learners to older students preparing for higher education or entering the workforce. The program offers a comprehensive teaching experience, combining classroom instruction with involvement in school and community activities, fostering a rich cultural exchange. For more detailed information about the program's structure, assignments, and responsibilities, visit the official EODP website.
The English Opens Doors Program, being a volunteer initiative, offers a range of benefits centered around personal growth and cultural immersion. Participants in the program can expect to experience the fulfillment that comes from living and working in Chile's diverse environment, as well as gaining valuable classroom experience. Beyond the professional aspects, Chile's rich cultural landscape offers numerous opportunities for fun and adventure.
Key benefits of participating in the English Opens Doors Program include:
- Housing and Meals: If participants opt for the homestay option, all housing costs and meals are covered, providing an authentic living experience in Chilean culture.
- Monthly Stipend: A stipend of 70,000 CLP (approximately $80) is provided monthly to assist with living expenses.
- Orientation Course: A comprehensive, week-long orientation course in Santiago is provided, equipping participants with essential information and skills for their role.
- Transportation: Free transportation within Chile is offered, allowing for exploration and travel across the country.
- Health Insurance: Participants receive free health insurance, ensuring medical coverage during their stay.
- Language Support: Access to a free online Spanish course is provided, aiding in language acquisition and enhancing communication skills.
- Visa Costs: The program covers the visa fee.