Europe is a hugely popular destination for teaching English abroad and subsequently the main hotspots in countries such as Spain and Italy can be difficult to crack as the level of competition is usually very high. If you are lacking in classroom experience or are simply looking for something a little different, then the Central European Teaching Program (CETP) which places teachers into schools across Hungary might be worth a look.
What are the requirements for the Central European Teaching Program?
To be eligible for the CETP you must be a native English speaker from the US, Canada, the UK, or any other EU country. There is no upper age limit for the program which makes it a particularly popular option with more mature teachers who might find it hard to secure a job elsewhere in the region. The standard program runs from September to mid-June, with an additional orientation week prior to the start date. There are also a few 6-month positions available that run from January to June. In contrast to other similar schemes around the world, the CETP is a privately operated program that requires a placement fee from all applicants. This fee is enough to put off some people, however, the program comes with several benefits that ensures it still appeals to many teachers. Some of the main benefits of the program are as follows:
- A regular salary that is equal to local coworkers (no income tax is required)
- National health insurance
- A private, furnished apartment with all utilities covered
- Paid holidays
- Work visa that also allows you to travel across Europe
- Partners, friends or families can often be placed together
How do I apply for the Central European Teaching Program?
If this program sounds like something you might be interested in, you should visit the CETP website for further details. To apply you will need to submit the following documents:
- TESOL certification that includes at least 20 hours of practical classroom teaching
- Letter from doctor confirming your good health (work visa requirement)
- Notarized copy of your university diploma
- Background check