How do I get a job teaching English in Mexico?

To get a job teaching English in Mexico, consider these factors:

  • High Demand: Mexico, with a population of nearly 130 million, has a significant demand for English language skills, fueled by its reliance on international tourism and trade with the U.S.
  • Location: Its proximity to the U.S. makes Mexico a favored destination for American teachers, offering the convenience of being a short flight away from home.
  • Visa Accessibility: Obtaining a long-term visa for legal employment in Mexico is relatively straightforward, making it an attractive option for many teachers.

Focus on areas with high demand for English language skills, particularly in regions that are major centers for tourism and international business. Ensure you meet the qualifications required for teaching English, such as a TESOL certificate or relevant degree, and research visa procedures to ensure a smooth transition.

Table of Contents

How do I get a job teaching English in Mexico?

What do I do to get a teaching job in Mexico once I am TESOL qualified?

What visa will I need to work legally as an ESL teacher in Mexico?

How do I get a job teaching English in Mexico?

The first step to starting a new life teaching English in Mexico, either short or long term, is to complete a TESOL certification course. Most employers in most countries now require job applicants to have undertaken some amount of teacher training in order to be eligible for their vacant positions. By the end of your training you will have learned all the basic skills and knowledge you will need to produce positive results in the classroom.

Mexico boasts numerous schools and language centers eager to hire ESL teachers from abroad. Often, these positions are not widely advertised beyond the local area. To tap into these opportunities, many individuals opt to undergo TESOL training within the country, enabling them to interview for jobs immediately after completing the course. Alternatively, you can pursue an online TESOL course from home and then personally interview for jobs either advertised online or discovered upon arrival in Costa Rica.

Check out ITTT's in-class TESOL course in Chiapas, Mexico

Check out all our online TESOL courses

What do I do to get a teaching job in Mexico once I am TESOL qualified?

Once you have obtained your TESOL qualification, you can begin applying for your preferred teaching positions. Keep in mind that many employers in Mexico prefer in-person interviews and tend to hire locally. Therefore, you may need to relocate before securing a job. However, there is no need to worry as this is common practice, given the high demand for English teachers in the country. To gain an advantage in this competitive job market, you should take a look at ITTT's lifetime job support service, which offers assistance to all graduates, including:

  • Access to our database of potential employers
  • Exclusive leads on unadvertised jobs
  • Advice on constructing a high-quality CV or resume
  • Advice on writing cover letters
  • Assistance with planning trial lessons for job interviews
  • Consultation on potential job contracts

Take a look at the following post for more information: How does the lifetime job support service work?

What visa will I need to work legally as an ESL teacher in Mexico?

To work legally as an ESL teacher in Mexico, you will require an FM3 visa. This process involves:

  • Accepting a Job Offer: After securing a teaching position and signing a contract, you initiate the visa application.
  • Visa Application Process: If you secured a job from outside Mexico, apply for the FM3 visa through your nearest Mexican Embassy or Consulate. If you secure a job within Mexico, your employer will assist you in applying locally.
  • Collecting the Visa: Once granted, you must collect your FM3 visa from a Mexican Consulate outside of Mexico, often in locations like San Antonio, Texas, Guatemala, or Belize. This must be done within 15 days of issuance.
  • Re-entry and Renewal: After collecting the visa, return to Mexico within 30 days. The FM3 visa is valid for one year and can be renewed annually. After three successful renewals, you may be eligible for residency in Mexico.

Remember, the FM3 visa not only permits you to work but also offers benefits like access to the national healthcare system.

Also read: How much can I earn teaching English in Mexico?