Santorini is many people’s idea of the quintessential Greece. The picture-perfect island of Santorini is the last of the Cyclades islands to the south. Surrounding islands include Folegandros, Sikinos, Anafi, Amorgos and Crete.
Generally referred to as a single island, Santorini is actually a series of five islands. Santorini (Thira) is the main island and around it Thirasia and Aspronisi (parts of the ancient Stroggili) and the two volcanic islands Palea Kameni and Nea Kameni.
Jules Verne made Santorini famous with his books Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island where captain Nemo and his crew watch an volcano erupt. Verne came to Thira during the eruptions of 1866 - 1870 and wrote the now famous novel soon after. The volcano dominates the area, and its caldera view is breathtaking.
The Santorini Caldera view is famed for its 300-foot cliffs and many of the island's villages are built perched on top, offering sea views for miles out. The cliff is the wall of a submerged volcano crater caused by the cataclysmic eruption of the volcano around 3,000 BC. In addition to creating the best views of the Aegean Sea for present day visitors to enjoy, this eruption was the cause the demise of the Minoan civilization.
Steeped in history, Santorini has plenty of archaeological sites to visit, including the ruins of Ancient Thira, Akrotiri and the Venetian fortress at Pirgos.
Santorini also offers unique accommodation. There are stunning beaches with plenty of beach sports and activities available. On the highest peak of Santorini is the monastery of the Prophet Elijah (Profitis Ilias), where a huge feast is held annually on July 20th.
Why choose Santorini?
- Sailing excursions to the volcano island with its semi active crater
- Sunset sailing excursions around the island to see the caldera face from the sea
- Scuba and beach sports in Perissa
- Romantic meals in the charming village of Oia watching the sunset
- The Nautical Museum in Oia
- A visit to the Minoan village of Akrotiri, preserved Pompeii-style.
- The New Museum of Fira exhibits frescoes from Akrotiri and the first golden find in Cyclades
- The Old Historical Museum in Fira, with finds from Santorini and the Greek Hellenic Period
- Boutaris Winemakers, in Megalohori, for wine tasting and a multimedia history of the island
- Santorini is one of Patricia Shultz’s, 1,000 Places to See Before You Die.
- Ferry trips take you to the other Cyclades islands, including Mykonos and Delos—also among Shultz’s 1,000 places that must be seen.
TEFL International Santorini is conveniently situated in Messaria, just two miles from the main town of Thira, within easy reach of all its amenities. Messaria is a traditional village two miles southeast of Thira—the main town of Santorini. With a mixture of white Cycladic-style houses in narrow lanes and neo-classical buildings set among vineyards, it is one of the most picturesque villages on Santorini.
The accessibility of this prime location means that you can be in Thira or on any of the island’s superb beaches within a few minutes. Supermarkets, bakeries, restaurants, car and scooter rentals, and bus stops with direct services to all parts of the island are all close by.
The TESOL training center is housed in a small private school of English in the main street of Messaria, and teaching practice takes place on the premises. The school has a very high standard of equipment, including a computer room and interactive whiteboards in the classrooms. Teaching practice is with classes and small groups of Greek children and teenagers, providing you with the real teaching experience you need to prepare you for your first teaching job after the course.
Why complete a TESOL course in Santorini?
- Teaching practice with real Greek learners of English prepares you for the reality of the classroom. You’ll be teaching children and teenagers like most of the TESOL learners worldwide.
- Highly experienced trainers – we have been running this course every month since 2004.
- We have a maximum of five trainees per trainer, ensuring you get plenty of individual support and feedback.
- We are in a unique position to help you find the job you want in Greece on completion of the TESOL course, in Santorini or elsewhere else for that matter.
- We have an extensive network of partners for employment opportunities worldwide.
- Ongoing professional support and career guidance after you graduate.
- Choice of accommodation options to match your preference and budget.
We recommend a wide variety of TESOL course accommodation options in Santorini, including apartments, hotels and hostels offering private rooms and shared dorms. Choices depend on individual preferences and budget, the number of people travelling together and time of year.
Our top recommendation is a hotel in the Karterados area, with its traditional square, tavernas and small shops. Karterados lies between Messaria, where the TESOL training center is located, and Fira, the main town of Santorini, each about ten minutes away on foot. There is also a bus stop right outside the hotel. Rates start at 20 euros per night.
There are also accommodation options in Messaria, close to the TESOL training center. Just a short bus ride from the training center, Kamari is one of the nearest beach resorts and offers accommodation of many types at reasonable prices. Rates start at 25 euros per night including breakfast.
There are many inexpensive accommodation options by the beach in Perissa, about five miles away to the south-east. The single occupancy rate for 25 nights starts at 287 euros, with reduced rates for sharing a room.
We are presently in the process of establishing a new course in Santorini and therefore there are currently no dates available for this location. We anticipate that the course should be running here within the next 6-8 months. If you would like to attend a course at this location, please let us know and we will send you full information as soon as the course dates are finalized.
Please check out our other course locations if you wish to attend a course before this one becomes available...
The total price is divided into: deposit and balance.
The deposit may be paid via a) credit card b) Paypal c) wire transfer d) Western Union.
The balance of the course fee must be paid by cash, PayPal or bank transfer directly to the training center on the first day of the course.